Adrenaline autoinjector is life saving in anaphylaxis
Adrenaline autoinjector is life saving in severe allergy / Anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency. It can be fatal if left untreated.
If someone has symptoms of anaphylaxis, you should:
- Use an adrenaline/epinephrine auto-injector.
- Give another adrenaline injection after 5-15 minutes if the symptoms don’t improve.
Dose of Adrenaline / Epinephrine:
10-20 kg (~1-5yrs) – 0.15mg (green labelled on autoinjector).
>20kg (~>5yrs) – 0.3mg (yellow labelled on autoinjector).
Pregnant woman- 0.3mg (yellow labelled on autoinjector).
If do not have autoinjector or in hospital settings-
Give INTRAMUSCULAR (IM) injection of Adrenaline/ Epinephrine as follows:
- 1:1000 solution of Adrenaline in IM into outer aspect of mid-thigh in right site.
- A dose of 0.01mg per kg up to maximum of 0.5mg per dose can be used.
- Repeat every 5 minutes as needed.
- Call emergency number for an ambulance immediately.
- Remove any trigger if possible. For example, carefully remove any wasp or bee sting stuck in the skin.
- Lie the person down flat.
- The left lateral position is the mostly recommended for patients who are pregnant.
How to use an Adrenaline/Epinephrine Auto-injector-EpiPen®:
The Adrenaline Auto-Injector is a disposable, pre-filled automatic injection device. This device is extremely helpful and is life saving in case of anaphylaxis.
Steps of Use:
- Remove the Auto-Injector from the carrier tube.
- Grasp the Auto-injector device with orange tip facing downward.
- Remove the blue colored safety cap by pulling it straight up. Do not bend or twist the cap.
- Now place the orange tip against the middle of the outer thigh.
- Swing and push the auto-injector firmly into the thigh until it “clicks”. Hold the injector firmly in place for 3 seconds. You can count slowly, “1, 2, 3”
- Remove the auto-injector from the thigh.
After taking Adrenaline auto injector, you have to call emergency medical services. It is noteworthy that an individual need to be admitted at hospital. If the vitals improve then the patient can be discharged after 4 hours.
Two varieties of Auto-injector available:
EpiPen® (epinephrine injection, USP) – containing 0.3 mg of Adrenaline/Epinephrine.
EpiPen Jr® (epinephrine injection, USP) – containing 0.15mg Adrenaline /Epinephrine Auto-Injectors.