Can Allergies Be Cured?
- The simple answer is No
Allergy can no be cured in all cases.
However there are some cases where allergy can be cured by Immunotherapy.
Treatment of Allergy with medicine is the mainstay. Symptoms and sign will relieve if you take anti allergic medicines.
Allergy some important facts
- The term Allergy coined by the Pediatrician Clemons von Pirquet
- Allergies are common and increasing globally
- Worldwide 30-40% populations are allergic
- In India 20-30% populations are allergic
- Allergy may be very severe and life threatening
- Adrenaline is the drug of choice in anaphylaxis
- Avoidance of the causative allergen is important
- If your child has anaphylaxis, ensure your child is safe in all environment including at school
- Always consult an Allergist if you experienced anaphylaxis
- Few allergies in children may be disappeared when he grows
Symptoms of Allergy
Symptoms of mild to moderate allergy include:
- ⇒Runny Nose, Stuffy Nose, Sneezing
- ⇒Wheezing, Shortness of Breath
- ⇒Nausea & Vomiting
Symptoms of severe allergy include:
- ⇒Generalized urticaria and angioedema
- ⇒Itching, tightness in the throat, hoarseness of voice
- ⇒Vomiting, diarrhea, cramp in the abdomen
- ⇒Respiratory difficulty/shortness of breath, cough, wheeze
- ⇒Weak pulse, dizziness, reduced BP
Only a few symptoms may be present. Severity of symptoms can change quickly
In children allergy, allergy go away when they grow older. For example, an infant may have cows milk allergy but when he grows older the allergy may subside.
Similar is true for peanut allergy. Sometimes Peanut allergy may subside when child overgrow.
However in adult, allergy may not go away.
With the introduction of Allergen Imuunotherapy or AIT or Allergy Shots, there is some hope.
Yes AIT may cure allergy some cases. But most of the cases after AIT, you have reduced symptoms and sign of allergy.
The allergen for which the AIT available include
- House dust mite
- Tree pollen
- Cat dander