Nasal Allergy means allergic reactions which leads to nasal symptoms. The term nasal allergy is a loose term. The more logical name is Allergic Rhinitis or hay fever. Nasal allergies is very common condition.
Worldwide 10-30 % people have nasal allergies.
Nasal Allergy Causes
- Causes of Nasal allergy include
- Grass pollen
- Dust Mites
- Tree pollen
- Animal dander
- Cat saliva
Nasal Allergy Symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Stuffy nose
- Sore or scratchy throat
- Watery eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Dry, itchy skin
Nasal Allergy Types
Two types, seasonal and perennial.
- Seasonal allergies occur only in a particular season.
- Mainly occur during the spring and fall season.
- Mostly due to pollen.
- Perennial allergies are present throughout the year.
- House dust mites and animal dander are the most common.
Nasal Allergy Diagnosis
1. Skin prick test:
- SPT is one of the most common and most useful test.
- It is useful to find out the cause of AR.
- It is very sensitive and cheap test.
2. A blood test, or RAST/ Immunocap
- Allergen specific IgE testing:
- Usually performed when the skin prick test is contraindicated.
- This test is suitable for infant and elderly.
Nasal Allergy Medicine Treatment
- Treatment of nasal allergies consists of anti allergy tablets, syrup or nasal spray.
- Nasal steroid spray is the best treatment
- Allergy Immunotherapy can cure nasal allergy in some cases
useful in mild to moderate allergic reaction.
- Relieve stuffy nose and sinus pressure.
These drugs are
- suitable only for shorter time usually for three days.
- Longer time can cause a rebound effect.
- Cetirizine with pseudoephedrine
- helpful to relieve itchiness and other allergy related symptoms.
- Helpful as short time basis.
- Avoid for long-term use.
- They can cause rebound effect.
- Steroid nasal sprays are allergic rhinitis best treatment.
- They reduce inflammation and immune responses.
- Long term use of this drugs do not cause a rebound effect
- It is useful for severe allergies.
- These shots decrease immune response to particular allergens over time.
- This therapy require long time.
Nasal Allergy Home Remedies
- Nasal rinse
- Saline cleaning
- Maintain Hygiene
- Clean Home every day
- Clean bed sheets, carpets
- Stay away from pets like cat
- Take multivitamins and anti oxidants