Anti Allergic Medicines are the drug for treatment of allergy.
OTC over the counter anti allergic antihistamines medicine include:
- Cetirizine ( brand name Cetzine, Zyrtec)
- Fexofenadine (brand name Fexy, Allegra)
- Loratadine (brand name Alavert, Claritin)
- Clemastine (brand name Tavist)
- Brompheniramine (brand name Dimetane)
- Chlorpheniramine (brand name Chlor- Trimeton)
- Diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl)
First generation or sedative anti allergic antihistamines:
Have a central effect. They can cause sedatives.
This type of anti allergy medicines are notorious for causing drowsiness and sleepiness.
Anti allergic Second generation or less sedative antihistamines
This type of anti allergy medicines are less CNS effects like drowsiness and sleepiness.
Side effects of antihistamines
Side effect are more common with first generation antihistamines.
- Dry mouth
- Urinary retention
Common symptoms of allergy include:
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Stuffy nose
- Sore or scratchy throat
- Watery eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Frequent headaches
- Extremely dry, itchy skin that can blister and weep